Wednesday, 7 November 2012
Sound Safari
We were given microphones and we went out and RECORDED. Something I should do far more often. I tend to think too much and not get my hands dirty. It's always been a problem of mine.
Either way, we chose from a variety of microphones such as a stereo mic (the RODE NT) or a tie-clip mic. I chose a hydrophone/contact mic because I have a fascination with recording things that we don't normally hear. In hindsight I probably should have chosen one of the other microphones since I had actually played with the contact mic a few times before, but I do just love it so.
In the end I didn't actually manage to get many good recordings. The good ones that I did get where of the underwater pools at the Peace Gardens. Moving closer to the waterfalls showed how different locations in the water really provide a very different sound. My favourite recording (before I was annoyingly told to move on by the gallery staff) was of the escalator at the Millennium Galleries with the contact microphone. It created a fantastic rhythmic sound that I can actually imagine a million uses for. From music to atmos.
Another interesting recording I made was of a power supply box near the crucible. It was a great example of how there are all kinds of interesting sounds hidden away that we don't normally hear. When I placed the contact mic against certain parts of the big green metal box I could hear the buzzing and rumbling inside. It was like a secret world I've never entered before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment