Learning about equalization was definitely a useful boost to my skills as a sound designer. I had certainly attempted to teach myself some the the necessary techniques in order to do the sound for the drama project last year, but really I wish I had had this tutorial before then.
Learning simple things such as the curve to put on the equalizer before even starting to mess with the sound in order to make the sound less noisy was something I didn't know about. As was boosting frequencies in order to isolate unwanted hisses or hums and then remove them.
We looked at some pretty interesting clips that served as good examples of the importance of equalization. The one I particularly enjoyed was Lost Highway (which I desperately need to see now) due to its more surreal approach. I loved the way the music cut out in order to focus on the strange conversation between a character and what I can only assume is the Devil. Looking at the way the music changes between rooms and analysing what background noise is used and how its used is a great way to look at movies and hone my senses for that kind of thing.
I am very much looking forward to actually exploring the range of effects that equalization can offer. We merely scratched the surface in the session and I'm itching to push it further with my first project.

No comments:
Post a Comment